"Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures." John F. Kennedy

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Little Steps...

The first days of school are challenging for many of our students, especially little ones who may be new to a full day of school. It is hard work for everyone, but we are beginning to see some progress! I've noticed that most of the students are now able to come in to the room quietly in the morning, put their folders in the yellow basket, put their lunches in the purple basket, hang up their backpacks, sit down and look at a book basket for 20 minutes! This is a wonderful start to our day. We have learned how to clean up our centers when I ring the clean up bell, and after we put our toys away, we've learned that we need to sit back down and wait for the next direction. I was impressed with the way our students were able to pack up at the end of the day too - and walk quietly down the hall to our buses! These little steps all add up to big steps in learning - being able to listen, follow directions and cooperate are the important foundation skills that children need in order to learn academic tasks like reading and writing and addition. We expect your child to struggle with some of these things, but we'll be there to help support, guide and teach him or her. I have big dreams for your children - I know you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment